The USA Pro Challenge will host its inaugural year in the great state of Colorado. Salida will place host to the first mountain stage start. Volunteers are needed to fill various types of positions throughout the county. To volunteer register at the USA Pro Challenge website or e-mail our local Director of Volunteers, Robin Nejame.
Scheduled for August 22-28, 2011, more than 4,000 volunteers are needed, statewide, to support as many as one million anticipated fans who will be following 128 of the world’s top professional cyclists as they compete through six stages and nearly 600 miles of Colorado landscape. The Salida Stage Start will take place August 23, 2011 and the race will travel back through Chaffee County, specifically Buena Vista part of the route to Aspen on August 24, 2011. Volunteers will have the opportunity to assist and participate in one or two stages of this world class sporting event.
Volunteers, in the Chaffee County area, are need to for about 400+positions, ranging from security to media check-in, to economic impact survey takers, to volunteer check-in and individual stage course marshals.
Volunteer positions for the 2011 USA Pro Challenge include:
- Security: Assist tour security staff with access control, including on-course, hospitality, awards, green room and press conference support.
- Media Check-in: Assist tour media operations staff with media check-in, credential distribution, serve as “runners,” and assist with general media Q&A and office set-up.
- Economic Impact Survey Volunteers: Collect economic impact survey data. Volunteers will walk in and around the finish area and the health and wellness exposition asking spectators to take a short one-page survey.
- Volunteer Check-in: Assist host city volunteer coordinators with set-up, check-in, registration and deployment of athletes.
- Individual Stage Course Marshals: Assigned a designated area along the race course to assist with the coordination and safety of the field of play for all race venues.
- Plus other special events such as the Lifestyle Festival and Event Greening
The support of the local communities and assistance from dedicated volunteers will be crucial to the success of the inaugural USA Pro Challenge Challenge. The country’s biggest sports and cycling fans will be coming to Colorado to take an active role in this historic event.
Detailed descriptions of each position along with estimated time commitments are listed on the registration page. Potential volunteers have the option to list their top three position choices for the competition and are able to participate in multiple stages of the race provided no conflicts exist. Minors under 18 years of age are eligible to volunteer, but must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Volunteers will be contacted prior to the event by the Volunteer Directors for orientation, check-in location, and scheduling.